Projects We Report On
Civil & Infrastructure Project Leads
Search Civil & Infrastructure Projects
Commercial Project Leads
Search Commercial Projects
Industrial Project Leads
Search Industrial Projects
Residential Project Leads
Search Residential Projects
Mining, Oil & Gas Project Leads
Search Resource Projects
Services Project Leads
Search Service Projects
Construction Project Stages
The Concept stage of construction involves defining the scope of the project, conducting feasibility studies and deciding whether to proceed. For larger projects, this is when master planning takes place. Concept may also include rezoning, especially if the intended project’s use falls in a different category to the current land use restrictions, and appointing a designer through design tender. In mining projects, exploration and scoping studies occur, which involve applying for permits to conduct mineral explorations (sampling, mapping, surveying, drilling, etc.).
- Design Tender / Competition
- Design Contract Awarded / Competition Winner
- Early Planning
- Mining, Oil & Gas Exploration
- Mining, Oil & Gas Scoping Study
Design & Documentation
During the Design and Documentation stage, the focus shifts to defining how the project integrates into the local area, which is crucial for obtaining design and building approval. This phase involves in-depth planning and drafting of architectural drawings, specifying both exterior and interior products, engaging consultants and engineers, and preparing comprehensive tender documentation.
For mining projects, assessing the mine’s feasibility and commercial viability, applying for environmental permits and mining licenses, and undertaking detailed engineering designs and documentation all fall in this stage.
- Plans in Progress
- Development Application / Resource Consent Application
- Development Approval / Resource Consent Granted
- Construction Certificate Submitted / Building Consent Application
- Construction Certificate Approved / Building Consent Granted
- Appeal Lodged*
- Documentation In Progress
- Mining / Oil & Gas Pre-Feasibility Study
- Mining / Oil & Gas Definitive Feasibility Study
Pre-Construction involves appointing a main contractor, sometimes via tender. Tendering is a competitive process that involves inviting selected firms to submit a proposal or publishing an advertisement that invites all contractors that meet certain licensing requirements or capability levels. The developer may opt to first invite firms to submit an expression of interest (EOI), before shortlisting preferred contractors and conducting a comprehensive evaluation based on factors like price, quality, experience, timeframe and the choice of subcontractors.
Alternatively, a main contractor may be directly appointed without the project going to tender.
- Expressions of Interest Δ
- Tender Called
- Tender Called - Tenderers Listed
- Tender Closed - Contract Not Yet Awarded
- Tender Closed - Tenderers Listed
- Contract Awarded / Builder Appointed
During the Construction stage of a project, subcontractors are selected and building works commence. This phase involves boots on site, and managing construction budgets and timeframes, all leading to project completion and handover to the client.
- Main Contractor On Site
- Site Works Commenced
- Construction Commenced
- Subcontractor Tender Called**
- Subcontractor Tender Closed**
- Subcontractor Tenderers Listed**
- Subcontractor(s) Appointed**
*Not available for Asia projects.
**Not available for ANZ or USA projects.
Δ Substage not applicable in certain projects.